School’s Out For Summer! Welcoming Summer Break
We’re fast approaching summer break at my house! #thebigone is counting down, half anxious for some lazy summer days, and half sad about missing his friends in the coming months. (And I’m gonna be honest… This mama feels about the same way!) Today, I’m sharing our favorite picture book to commemorate the end of the school year, and a simple DIY countdown to accompany it. Stick around to the end of the post, where you can download the free printable tag I created for some cute end of the year trinkets.
Standard Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. I may receive a commission from purchases you make through the links in this post (at no additional cost to you), which allows me to continue providing free content on the blog.
Welcome Summer Break With A Read A Loud
Last Day, Hooray! by Nancy Poydar is the perfect choice for a story time to welcome summer break. The illustrations are bright, cheerful, and engaging. Additionally, the characters depicted are diverse in terms of race, which is always a good thing in my opinion. The story follows a young class of kids who are preparing for the end of the school year. As summer break approaches, they plan a fun party and card for their teacher. They also discuss how they will stay in touch over the summer, and look forward to seeing each other again in the fall. The social story quality of the book will be especially calming for young students a bit apprehensive about the transition from classroom to summer break.
Countdown To Summer Break
Inspired by the colorful paper chain decorations the students create in Last Day, Hooray! we created a simple countdown to the last day of school.
- Cut strips of construction paper, roughly 1″ wide.
- Create a loop by gluing or taping a strip of paper into a circle.
- Add links to the paper chain in the same manner as above.
- Create 1 link for each day left until summer vacation starts. Each day your child can rip one chain off for a visual representation of the time remaining.
This year Flew By!
#thebigone is finishing up first grade this year, and he’s had a great year meeting new friends. He’s really begun to blossom and become quite a social guy. When I go in to volunteer for reading groups, I love to hear his classmates tell me about him- I can tell he is well liked. After such a special year, I wanted to put together a small treat for him to share with his friends before summer break begins. You can scroll down for your free printable if you’d like to put together some similar goodies! (Involve your kiddos in as little or as much of the process as they are able to- a lot will depend on age!)
- Print enough tag sheets to have 1 tag for each student.
- Cut out tags.
- Sign the back of each tag, so your friends know who the gift is from.
- Attach a paratrooper toy to the back of each tag with washi tape.
- Pass out your trinkets to your friends and wish them a happy summer break!